Title of the training
Environmental and Social Framework in Projects
3 Days (18 lesson hours)
Purpose and scope
Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training covers the responsibilities, work and operations in the process of assessing, managing and monitoring environmental and social impacts and risks in projects. This training provides the knowledge and skills required for the preparation and management of Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP), Ex-post Social Audits, Resettlement Plans (RP), Resettlement Framework (RF), Stakeholder Engagement Plans (SEP) according to World Bank and EU (EIB) standards that are taken as a reference in the preparation of these plans.
Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training should be taken by those who are or want to develop knowledge, skills and understanding in following subjects;
- Task responsibilities related to planning and preparing environmental and social impacts in projects,
- Duties and responsibilities in the process of assessing, managing and monitoring environmental and social impacts and risks in projects,
- Responsibilities related to reviewing, evaluating and expressing opinions on environmental and social impact plans in projects and guiding those who prepare these plans.
Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training is delivered by experienced experts who have mastered the Environmental and Social Impact Standards established by the World Bank and the EU, have implemented them in projects or have training experience in these subjects.
Objectives and learning outcomes
Those who have successfully completed the Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training are expected to;
- Have knowledge of the Environmental and Social Framework standards in projects,
- Understand the aims and objectives of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment,
- Perform planning and management tasks associated with the basic stages of environmental and social assessment,
- Describe the various applications of environmental and social assessment,
- Understand how working with stakeholders and applying the results of environmental and impact assessments can contribute to sustainability goals and objectives,
- Selects and use appropriate methods in the assessment of environmental and social impacts,
- Report using appropriate methods in the assessment of environmental and social impacts,
- Provide guidance on the assessment of environmental and social impacts, examine studies and report and express opinions.
Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training includes the following topics:
- Environmental and Social Framework Standards, Scope and Instruments
- World Bank Environmental and Social Framework, Purpose, Policies, and Standards
- European Investment Bank Environmental and Social Framework, Purpose, Policies and Standards
- Overview of environmental and social risks and impacts, scoping study and ESIA
- Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF),
- Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP),
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA),
- Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP),
- Ex-post Social Audits,
- Relocation Plans (RP),
- Resettlement Framework (RF),
- Stakeholder Engagement Plans (SEP)
- Basic Data and Use of Data
- Socio-Economic and Environmental Basic Data Collection
- Data Collection Tools, Design and Application
- Planning of Site Visits and Primary Data Collection Activities
- Field Work Activities
- Use and Presentation of Basic Data
- Impact Assessment
- Impact Assessment Methodology and Report Structure, Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches
- Risk Assessment and Impact Assessment, Cumulative Impact Assessment
- How to Use and Present the Key Data in the Impact Assessment Section
Delivery and method
Environmental and Social Framework Training in projects is implemented in the form of face-to-face training. In this training, a group is limited to a maximum of 20 people as exercises and practices will be carried out on environmental and social impact assessment. In face-to-face education, educators guide learners through interactions and practices in a way that facilitates learning and improves their practical skills after a general theoretical training on Environmental and Social Framework standards and issues. However, if conditions arise that prevent face-to-face training, the training may be delivered remotely by using the Me-Learning© online learning platform and the Actio© meeting management tool.
In order to maximize the transfer of the knowledge and skills acquired in this training to practice by the learners, exercises and practices are carried out to cover the types and stages of Environmental and Social Framework activities, taking into account the working area and institutional activities of the participants.
Learning tools and materials
Sample documents are used as training materials for the learners to practice on the environmental and social framework activities and their stages. Sample documents cover reporting on environmental and social impact issues, impact assessment and evaluation of reports prepared on these issues.
Audio visual and multimedia materials, templates, worksheets and other materials for exercises and practices are prepared by the trainer and distributed to the participants. However, if there is a sufficient number of hardware such as computers, notebooks or tablets in the learning environment, all materials are provided in a digital format and studies are carried out in digital context.
In accordance with our waste reduction policy, printed materials are not distributed in this training unless it is educationally necessary.
Assessment and evaluation
In order to optimize the learning process according to the learners’ needs, the level of readiness of the learners is assessed informally by the trainer at the beginning of the training. The studies carried out by the learners, such as exercises and practices are assessed as indicators of the development / learning and the trainer provides feedback and adjusts learning activities based on them in order to ensure effective learning.
A question sheet is administered to the participants before and after the training, online or in print, to determine the level of awareness and knowledge on the Environmental and Social Framework in Projects. In addition, at the end of the training, the Training Evaluation Questionnaire is applied.
All participants who have completed the training receive a certificate of participation showing that they have completed the Environmental and Social Framework in Projects training, with duration of the training clearly stated.
Environmental and social framework, environmental and social risks, environmental impacts, environmental and social management framework (ESMF), environmental and social management plan (ESMP), environmental and social impact assessment (ESIA), environmental and social commitment plan (ESCP), resettlement plans (RP), resettlement framework (RF), stakeholder engagement plans (SEP), impact assessment in projects, risk analysis in projects