Title of the training
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning: Young Climate Trainers for a Sustainable Future
2 Days (12 lesson hours)
Purpose and scope
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning Training aims to provide young people aged 13-18 with the skills to raise awareness about climate change and sustainability, to combat climate change and to take actions and make an impact for climate change adaptation through peer learning. Based on the fact that learning is a socially constructed process, this training involves young people learning from their peers, learning together with their peers and ultimately taking actions for a sustainable future and developing their capacity to make an impact.
Target audience of the training
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training is designed for young people aged 13-18. However, this education is delivered by adapting it to the students of lower secondary and upper secondary school age, taking into account age and developmental characteristics of the participants.
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training is delivered to middle and high school age students with the cooperation of educators who have knowledge and experience about peer education and developmental characteristics of this age group and educators experienced in climate change and sustainability education.
Objectives and learning outcomes of training
Young people who have successfully completed the Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training are expected to;
- Have awareness about climate change, the effects of climate change, combating climate change and adapting to climate change,
- Build an understanding of how climate change affects young people with different individual and societal characteristics,
- Recognize and exemplify actions for a sustainable life and future,
- Explain what actions and choices individual can take to contribute to climate change and creating a sustainable future,
- Recognize and exemplify the methods and tools of learning and working with peers to contribute to climate change and creating a sustainable future,
- Starting from the immediate environment to contribute to climate change and creating a sustainable future; use opportunities, methods and tools to communicate and cooperate safely at local, national, regional and global levels,
- Take the initiative to contribute to climate change and create a sustainable future, and develop the desire and motivation to assume leadership roles.
Content of the training
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training includes the following topics:
- Climate change and global warming
- Biological, ecological, social and economic impacts of climate change
- Climate justice: The changing effects of climate change on different young groups
- Actions for a sustainable life and future
- The power and role of young people in building a sustainable life and future: practice cases, youth networks, proven effects of young people
- Possible actions together with peers on the way to becoming a climate hero and climate leader
- Understanding climate change and sustainability, learning more
- Understand what is being done
- Discover what you can do together
- Ways, methods and tools for working with peers for climate change and sustainability
- Using technology ethically, safely and effectively in communication and collaboration
- Methods and means of contributing to peer learning
- Planning, implementation and facilitator roles in peer activities
Delivery and method of training
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training is delivered in the form of face-to-face training. Approximately 15% of the training time is used for presentation, 5% is used for watching short videos and simulations (maximum 3-4 minutes for each) on climate change, climate change effects, climate change adaptation and mitigation, while the remaining time is used for activities and practices where young people participating in the training will have hands on experience through discussion, brainstorming, group work and peer learning.
In the training, young people are enabled to ask questions to raise awareness about climate change and sustainability, to discover possible answers to these questions, to discover how they contribute to the learning of others and how they can learn from others, and to experience methods and tools of making an impact. Thus, young people are supported to realize their potential, to discover and develop their own talents, skills and capacities, and to develop an approach and attitude towards learning to learn about climate change and sustainability.
Learning tools and materials
Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning training uses a presentation covering the basics, along with short videos, simulations, worksheets and templates on which young people will have discussions, make inferences and gain perspective. In addition, the learning activities and contents that young people can use in their work with their peers are used as materials in this training and are provided for their use in peer learning to be carried out by them after the training.
Assessment and evaluation
In order to optimize the learning process according to the learners’ needs, a preliminary study is carried out before the trainer training on issues such as the level of readiness, development level and socio-economic characteristics of the group to participate in the training.
The studies carried out by the learners, such as exercises and practices are assessed as indicators of the development / learning and the trainer provides feedback and makes improvements based on them in order to ensure effective learning. The Training Evaluation Questionnaire is applied to the participants at the end of the training.
All participants who complete the training receive a Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Trainer certificate showing that they have completed the “Climate Change and Sustainability Peer Learning” training, where the name and duration of the training they have received are clearly stated.
Climate change peer education, sustainability peer education, climate change education, climate action for young people.