Title of the training
Carbon Footprint Calculation
2 Days (12 lesson hours)
Purpose and scope
Carbon footprint is the study of calculating the CO2 equivalents of the effects of greenhouse gases resulting from activities such as production, service and processing determined by the Kyoto Protocol. Carbon footprint refers to the damage that carbon dioxide (CO 2) emissions, which are shown as the main responsible for global warming, cause the formation of gases that cause the greenhouse effect and are emitted to the atmosphere by the use of fossil fuels, emitted by individuals or institutions directly or in terms of the production of the products they use.
Carbon Footprint Calculation Training aims to enable participants to understand the impact of carbon emissions, the importance of reporting them consistently, basic terminology, basic concepts and problems, and to gain carbon footprint calculation skills at a basic level.
The main target group of this training is decision makers and practitioners in studies related to Carbon Footprint Calculation in private enterprises, public institutions and local governments, everyone who is interested in environmental and sustainability issues, high school students and undergraduate students who are interested in these areas.
It is preferable that the participants of this training have received basic Climate Change training before this training and have basic knowledge and understanding on climate change and global warming.
Carbon Footprint Calculation training is given by trainers who have experience in training in carbon footprint calculation and who stand out with their project and / or working experience in this regard.
Objectives and learning outcomes
Those who have completed the Carbon Footprint Calculation training are expected to;
- Explain the concept of carbon footprint,
- Understand what carbon/greenhouse gas emissions are and know their effects,
- List specific greenhouse gases and recognize internationally recognized standardized (ISO 14064-1 and WBCSD/WRI Organizational Greenhouse Gas Protocol),
- Define the contribution of corporate and individual activities to carbon emissions,
- Describe standardized approaches, how to use emission factors, calculate scope 1, scope 2 and scope 3 emissions,
- Consider data management and quality issues, report and understand the importance of third-party verification.
The content of the training program includes:
- The concept of carbon footprint
- Carbon footprint calculation and climate change
- ISO 14064 Standard basics
- Greenhouse gas emission classes
- Greenhouse gas emission calculation methods
- General information about the greenhouse gas inventory preparation process
- Management of greenhouse gas emissions and inventory system
- Case studies for carbon footprint calculation
- Continuity and verification of carbon footprint reporting
- Reducing the carbon footprint
Delivery and method
Carbon Footprint Calculation Training is applied face-to-face. It is recommended to have no more than 20 people in each group to ensure active participation and effective learning in this training. However, if conditions arise that prevent face-to-face training, the training can be delivered remotely using the Me-Learning© online learning platform and the Actio© meeting management tool.
While the conceptual background of carbon footprint calculation is presented, the content of the training is enriched with sample applications, and the participants are enabled to work on the examples and participate actively.
Learning tools and materials
Training materials consist of presentations and case studies. Sample materials for carbon footprint calculation exercises in infrastructure and urban projects are used as learning tools. Sample worksheets for greenhouse gas emission calculation methods are created and used as teaching and learning materials.
Audio visual and multimedia materials, templates, worksheets and other materials for exercises and practices are prepared by the trainer and distributed to the participants. However, if there is a sufficient number of hardware such as computers, notebooks or tablets in the learning environment, all materials are provided in a digital format and studies are carried out in digital context.
In accordance with our waste reduction policy, printed materials are not distributed in this training unless it is educationally necessary.
Assessment and evaluation
A question sheet is administered to the participants before and after the training is completed to determine the level of awareness and knowledge about Carbon Footprint Calculation, online or in print. In addition, at the end of the training, the Training Evaluation Questionnaire is applied.
All participants who complete the training receive a certificate of participation showing that they have completed the Carbon Footprint Calculation Training, with duration of the training clearly stated.
Carbon footprint, carbon footprint calculation, greenhouse gas emission classes, greenhouse gas emission calculation methods, carbon footprint reporting, carbon footprint reduction